Theater, music, cinema, visual art
The festival unites the most diverse art forms from theater and cinema, classical music and painting to youth open airs and original art projects. The National Philharmonic Orchestra of Russia under Vladimir Spivakov, Yuri Bashmet and the Chamber Ensemble "Soloists of Moscow", pianist Denis Matsuev, saxophonist Igor Butman, Chekhov’s Moscow Art Theater & Sovremennik, sculptor Georgy Frangulyan, St. Petersburg’s choreographer Boris Eifman are among the old & loyal friends of the festival.
Initially conceived as the chamber music festival, Chereshnevy Les evolved into one of the brightest events of the cultural life of Moscow. It's not just about concerts and set-outs. It's about an incomparable atmosphere, a revival of the traditions of musical and literary salons of the XIX century. Chereshnvy Les is a club of like-minded people, a lifestyle and a certain philosophy.
Chekhov assigned the part of the destroyer of the cherry orchard to the emerging Russian capitalism at the beginning of the XX century. A hundred years later it was decided to plant the garden once again.
Every year theater, cinema & TV stars, artists, sportsmen and businessmen plant cherry trees, often together with the families. All these people are united by creative work and faith in the future. Today, the gardens planted by the participants and friends of the festival grow not only in Moscow including Neskuchny Garden and Gorky Park, mini-garden of the Pushkin Museum, Chistye Prudy opposite the Sovremennik Theater, Skolkovo & VDNKh, but also in the Mikhailovsky Garden at the Russian Museum in St. Petersburg, in Sorrento in Italy and near the Sochi Seaport, symbolizing the restoration of the lost Chekhov's "cherry orchard" and cultural tradition’s continuity.
- exhibition "Giorgio de Chirico. Metaphysical Insights" at the State Tretyakov Gallery in Krymsky Val. Here you can fully experience the incredible magic of the metaphysical paintings of the "lord of dreams" and the forerunner of the surrealism Giorgio de Chirico. This is the first large-scale retrospective of the Italian artist in Russia, arranged together with the Foundation of Giorgio and Iza de Chirico, featuring over 110 exhibits like paintings, graphics, sculpture, theater costumes, archival materials and photographs;
- the premiere of the performance "Circus" directed by Maxim Didenko at the Theater of Nations. The main part in the scenic version of the famous Soviet musical comedy by Grigory Alexandrov "Circus" will be performed by Ingeborga Dapkunaite. This is the second joint work of the actress and the director: in December 2015 the Theater of Nations hosted the first-night of the play "Idiot" based on Dostoyevsky's novel, Dapkunaite performed the role of Prince Myshkin there. Probably the most popular theater artist of the recent years - Maria Tregubova, is responsible for the design of the "Circus". Composer Ivan Kushnir became another irreplaceable member of the creative team;
-the set-out of one of the most famous representatives of naive art in Russia, self-taught artist Katya Medvedeva will be hosted by the aristocratic Petrovsky Passage. She took up the brush when she was almost forty. Now, her works are stored in museums and private collections around the world, Western collectors call them "naked soul paintings";
- the world premiere of the new version of the musical production "Song about the Soldier" in Tchaikovsky Concert Hall. Vladimir Pozner, Andrei Makarevich, Dmitry Sitkovetsky (violin) will be the performers of the play based the tales of Alexander Afanasyev to the music of Igor Stravinsky;
- Concert of Vladimir Spivakov and the National Philharmonic Orchestra in the International House of Music;
- the traditional planting of cherry forest. This year it will be held at the territory of the sports complex "Luzhniki";
The festival will be rounded off by the announcement of the laureates of the Oleg Yankovsky "Creative discovery" award.
Cherry Fruit is the symbol of the award. Glass cherry berry of glass is made in Murano workshops of the Venetian glass-maker Silvano Sinioretto. Personal autograph of Oleg Yankovsky and the date of May 32nd are on the cut. There are many nominees, but the names of the new winners will be announced within the ceremony at the International House of Music.
The poetic program "Gleam of Bella" by Chulpan Khamatova will be performed especially for prize-winners.